Thursday, June 4, 2015

Let's try this again

So, here we are one year later, June 2015. I think the train derailment may have been a cosmic blessing (for me and mom, not the thousands of Manitoba people wildly inconvenienced by the lack of transport for months on end).  Mom was hobbled by her knee last year but now if much better. I was in a class last year but am free of homework this year.  Last year was the 'polar vortex', the worst winter in years, this winter has been mild and so far, Churchill weather seems good this spring. I got to go to Kenya on a 'now what am I going to do with my 2014 vacation days' last minute trip.  Only downside, I no longer fit my rain pants. And I used up all of my money in Africa (worth it).

We rebooked our WestJet flight to Winnipeg, we rebooked Bird Camp and we rebooked Calm Air.  So, this better happen this time.  We are not going to spend any time in Winnipeg this go round.  Just land in the evening and then head out on the train the next morning (fingers crossed).  5 days at bird camp and then back on Calm Air in the evening and back to Victoria the next morning. We are staying at a hotel near the airport. Winnipeg did not win me over last visit (except for Uncle Paul and family visit - that was worth the whole Winnipeg part of the aborted trip).

I just reread the CNSC packing list. I should probably get started on that since we are leaving on Monday (it is Thursday now).  I bought an awesome new Eddie Bauer wheelie duffle bag at a Bothell yard sale for $5.  Ever since Kenya, I am a fan of the wheelie bags (definitive proof that I am now old!, why lug it when you can roll it).  I have reviewed out baggage limits for all legs of the trip.  Two bags each, one checked (50 lbs) an one carryon (20 lbs).  That is doable. 

Ok, I will let you know how the packing goes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment