Sunday, June 7, 2015

Hiking boots in, rubber boots out

Last night I packed. My new Eddie Bauer wheelie bag for checked and my trusty backpack for carryon.  For WestJet, we have paid for one checked (50 lbs.) and we get one free carry on (20 lbs.).  For Via, we can check one bag of up to 50 lbs. and take one bag of up to 25lbs each into our cabin.  Calm Air allows two checked bags of up to 70 lbs. combined.  When did I become the person who is worrying about weight restrictions?  Remember when I spent two weeks in Europe with a 10 lb. day pack?  Ahh, those were the days before the computer, camera, binoculars and boots.  I like my luxuries now, as heavy as they are. 

My list:
Two pairs pants
Two long sleeve shirts
Two tee shirts
Socks (two pair heavy winter, a few pairs summer walking)
One fleece
One raincoat
Rain pants (bought yesterday at Canadian Tire for $10- so you know they are good - and a flattering bright yellow)
Hiking boots (rubber boots rejected as too much boot for one trip)
Parka (I am leaving the dead weasel at home)
Bug hat and coat.
Tilley hat
Toque, scarf, mittens
One light weight sweater
Slippers (remember the hotel carpet last time, no?, well I do).

Binoculars, Eastern Canada Bird Book
Camera
Wee computer
Two novels
Borrowed IPod loaded with random podcasts (thanks Alisma, who tried to show my how to use mine but it just wasn't to be, I think she let me use hers just so I would let her go home).
The standard toiletries
Day pack

Our flight leaves Victoria at 9am tomorrow.  As always, we are abusing Chris and making her take us to the airport well before she would normally get up.  She must really like those White Spot breakfasts we keep using to bribe her.  She is also in charge of cat and tomato plants again.  One day she is going to call in my debts and I will have to give her my kidney(s).

This morning I checked in with WestJet and we got our free seats.  I also noticed that our Via tickets say that meals are included.  But when I went on the Churchill route website, they don't mention meals except for the snack cart.  So I called them and they assured me that we will be fed hot meals.  Bonus!  No Wi-Fi though so if you don't hear from me until Thursday, that's why. 

2 comments:

  1. I am seeing reports of Eurasian Crane in Churchill. Happy bird watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been to his seed pile three times but no sighting yet!

      Delete